Sunday, July 13, 2008

Sanctuary

I've almost finished renovating my little "sanctuary". I still need to install some trim and stain most of it, but for the most part, the room is done. (I keep vacillating between leaving it natural, staining it white, or painting it. I think this week I've decided to stain it "pickled white".) I moved some old furniture in, most of my instruments and some books and it's starting to become my own space -- even if it is a small space.

"The Wall" -- I've relocated my decoy "collection" from the living room, and made space for some of the instruments on the top shelf. My cello, Oscar, has a nice niche in the corner.

"Work Area" -- When I renovated my kitchen (aka "The Galley"), I left a small work space where I could sit and work. My computer area was there, and it wasn't a big deal when there were only three of us living here. Fast forward a couple of years -- there are now six of us... my "boomerang" son moved back home with his 6 year-old son and girlfriend in tow. We're all on different shifts, and it can get quite crowded in the kitchen. Now the only problem with my new setup is my wireless signal isn't as good. I did relocate the router, but I suspect that once we renovate the living room and move some of the bookcases, everything will be A-OK.

"The Windows" -- This room used to be a screened-in porch. In 1994, the whole thing came crashing down after a severe ice buildup on the roof collapsed it (you'll notice the living room windows behind my shelf unit) . When we "rebuilt" the shell, I decided to install windows just in case we decided to use this area as living space. The stained glass frames hanging up are old windows I salvaged from the dump 20 years ago.

"The Entrance Wall" -- the umbrella stand holds fencing swords, not umbrellas. That's how we resolve family disputes here (just kidding). The door on the right leads to a tiny bedroom (9'x10') my son helped finish. We fought about who got to install the panelling in the bedroom and along "the wall" (he won the coin toss).


Left to do - finish the trim, find art for the walls. I've got enough here - I don't need to buy some, but wall space is tiny. Perhaps frame some photos. Paint, maybe? The white is stark, but it adds light to the northern exposure. Wallpaper border? Curtains? Your suggestions welcome.

Tools I've acquired - a router, new drill, new mitre saw (old one bit the dust), and son Brian contributed a table saw. We both still have all of our digits... I'd call that successful.

New skills - I now know how to use a table saw (and do use it btw), and I've gotten much better at finishing drywall (I seem to be the only person in the household with enough patience to tackle the job). This was a first experience working with insulation... I learned to let someone else work with it (son obliged), and also my first job laying carpet and padding (the trick was to cut the carpet outside in the driveway and trim it once it was in place). I'd like to buy a table for the router and learn more about cabinet making.

Next home-improvement projects:

1. Revisit the kitchen and finish the moulding.
2. Bathroom/hall closet renovation. Gut the bathroom walls to the studs, remove floor to the joists, keeping tub enclosure intact. Insulate exterior wall and repair necessary joists. Replace toilet and sink/vanity, install new cabinets and light fixtures and fan. Modify entrance to the bathroom, install new door. Add an extra outlet or two. Finish by winter (of 2008).
3. Install an alternative heating source. We heat with fuel oil. Need I say more? I'm thinking wood stove/fireplace insert. Oh, and gut the exterior living room wall and add insulation. I can feel the wind blowing in.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Neil said...

Great to see another post!