Thursday, July 24, 2008

Vacation Request

My summer plans haven’t jelled yet, and we’re already into late-July. My daughter and riding (bicycle) partner, Libby, had to take a summer school course. That forced us to cancel our trip to Fort Ticonderoga’s 250th event, and modify our plans for Fort Niagara. I was hoping to be on the Great Allegheny Passage/C&O Canal by now but as you can see, I’m not.

It’s unusual for me not to take a month or two off to re-group. I like having the summer off with Libby -- she’s a neat young lady. My strategy in the past had been to give ample notice to my employer, quit for the summer, then be rehired in the fall.

Last summer I asked my boss when I should submit my letter of resignation. She asked me why I wanted to quit. I said I really didn’t want to quit, but wanted time off to spend with my family. She said to let her know when. I thought “cool - what a great place to work”. I still think that, by the way.

My favorite time to ride the Passage is in the fall. It’s cooler and less crowded. I usually end up riding my through-trip in July. Yes, it hot and muggy - but at least it‘s usually dry (except for late-afternoon thunderstorms). I tend to avoid August because that’s when storms seem to move up the Atlantic coast from the south and dump rain for days.

This year I dropped the ball and didn’t ask for late July until it was too late. The local youth group’s trip was in late July, and three of our cashiers are part of that group. Things were up in the air anyway - summer school and all. I really need to get away. I typed up the following letter requesting a leave of absence:

There is a fine line between the inmates and staff at the asylum. I’m finding if I don’t escape, I will become one of the patients before long.

I’ve gone through my calendar and found that I could break free with your help -- and generosity. I’d like to ride from Boston, PA to Washington, DC again. I’d also (God willing) like to ride back. At a snail’s pace (old, fat and sassy speed) I’m looking at 3-½ weeks to cover around 725 miles… if my tush, the weather and my funds holds out.

I’d leave August 10th and return -- well, that’s pretty much up to you -- as early as the 25th, or as late as the 6th of September.


FYI - Here’s a rough itinerary:

August
10 - Leave Boston, PA and camp at Cedar Creek 17.5
11 - Cedar Creek to Connellsville 21.5
12 - Connellsville to Ohiopyle 17
13 - Ohiopyle to Rockwood 30
14 - Rockwood to Frostburg, MD 28
15 - Frostburg MD to Bedford, PA 45
16 - Bedford 250th 0
17 - Bedford 250th 0
18 - Bedford to Cumberland 45
19 - Cumberland to PawPaw, WV 28
20 - PawPaw, WV to Hancock, MD 32
21 - Hancock, MD to Williamsport, MD 25
22 - Williamsport to Antietam 30
23 - Antietam to White’s Ferry 35
24 - White’s Ferry to DC 35
25 - DC to Leesburg, VA 35
26 - Leesburg, VA to Harper’s Ferry, WV 30
27 - Harper’s Ferry to Big Slackwater Detour 30
28 - Big Slackwater Detour to Big Pool, MD 31
29 - Big Pool to Little Orleans 28
30 - Little Orleans to Potomac Forks 26
31 - Potomac Forks to Cumberland 22
31 - Cumberland to Frostburg 16
1 - Frostburg to Meyersdale 16
2 - Meyersdale to Confluence 31
3 - Confluence to Connellsville 28
4 - Connellsville to West Newton 25


Yes, I know that I’m taking a long time to cover the distance. I don’t like riding more than 30 miles a day, and prefer to cover only 20 or so. For some, it’s the journey; for others, the destination. In the grand scheme of life, I’m not racing to get to the finish line first.

Yesterday my boss sidled up to me and said, with a chuckle, “I think I can accommodate your request”. [and yes, I did use the word “tush”in my letter]

2 comments:

norm said...

I rode the Passage with a Vietnam buddy back a few years before it was completed from Meyersdale to Cumberland. We camped along the way, and aside from the heat, it was absolutely wonderful. Make sure to take a couple of spare inner tubes and have fun!

Judy G- said...

Have fun? Yes, I plan on it!! Actually, I spend a lot of time on the Passage around the Connellsville/Ohiopyle/Meyersdale areas -- only live about 40 minutes away. I'll be carrying a patch kit, some spare tubes (and one for BoB) and a spare tire. I'm always running into people who have rented bikes and don't bring a repair kit and pump. I don't like to see people walking when they don't need to...

Thanks -- is there a trip on the Passage in the near future for you?

Judy