Sunday, July 13, 2008

Valley Forge, June 2008




The weekend of June 20-22, I decided to make my escape from the insanity of home life and join Jeff, my husband for a quiet getaway. He went to the Valley Forge Gun Show, I hoped to do a little riding on the Schuylkill River Trail (http://www.gophila.com/C/Philly_Favorites/380/U/Schuylkill_River_Trail/1874.html).



Instead, I opted to play tourist and ride around the Valley Forge National Historic Park. I had just purchased a digital SLR camera (a Nikon D60) a couple of days before and had just read through the first couple of chapters in my "Nikon D40/D40x for Dummies" book. Armed with just enough knowledge to take "point and shoot" pictures, I ventured out to the park. I still haven't gotten beyond those first chapters...

The park is lovely, in fact I spent both days there. I met lots of folks having picnics, walking, cycling, doing the tourist thing like I was, and I also took lots of pictures. I should have abandoned the bike ride part of the sightseeing trip - I just took so many pictures the bike got in the way. This young lady and her mother were enticed by the wild cherries growing along the path (no silly, that's not her mother... that's her dog. Her mother is off-camera):







The employees inside the Visitor Center even had a sense of humor. One uniformed man started to give me an answer to my question "Where were the Confederate troops?" but quickly realized that I was pulling his leg and laughed. Can't wait to return with Libby.

Posted by Picasa

No comments: