Thursday, March 13, 2008

VISA Commercial Gone Bad...

“Customer cancelled tender”, the message read on my little digital screen. All the customer had to do was sign the screen and tap the green image with the stylus. “Ma’am, please slide your card again, sign the screen, and tap the green button on the screen”. She signs. “Beep” the register screams. “Customer cancelled tender” pops up once again. Lather, rinse, repeat. She tries a third time. “Beep”. I wait for the trap door below her to open and… Almost immediately, I’m jerked back to reality. This time I don’t need to ask her to try again.

“Now, which button do I tap?”, she inquires. A Greek chorus of waiting customers echoes back, “the GREEN one”. I ask, “Ma’am, which button are you tapping?” She replies, “The red one… it says ‘Clear’”.

The once near-empty express lane (my customer and me) is now snaking around the corner and has grown to 10 people. You could hear a collective sigh of relief as she completed her transaction and left the store. I guess this is one commercial VISA won’t be making anytime soon.

No comments: