Saturday, August 9, 2008

Waaay too much to do

It's 10 pm, and it's been a busy day. I've shoved things into panniers and there's no extra room. I have everything including the kitchen sink. The bike is heavy and cumbersome. I feel defeated before I get started. The front end of the bike is twitchy, the rear end of the bike is twitchy. I have a day to get used to it -- it's why I am only going 17 miles the first day. I am leaving the spare tire behind (the bike's, not mine) and the floor pump that I took last year, but I've substituted the hammered dulcimer and ice cooler - NOT an even exchange, by any means. I've switched out a tiny, digital camera for a mid-size DSLR and lens AND tripod. I have the BoB this time around, and no panniers and tent on the rear rack.

Oh, and it's supposed to rain tomorrow.

ON a bright note... I got the front derailleur adjusted. The nice man at Cycle, Sport and Ski in Greensburg gave the cable an adjustment and gave the bike a quick look-over. I'm all set to go. He even made me an extra spoke to carry. Price - just over $10.

I picked up snack food at Wal-Mart. I went there hungry and came out $75 lighter. 2/3's of the food went into the resupply box, to be divied up next weekend.

My friends, Neil B and Neil F named their tour the "Shake, Rattle and Roll" tour. I'm thinking about naming this one the "Old, Fat and Sassy" tour.

Jeff presented me with 100 brochures for Fort Ligonier to take on this tour, as well as 10 magnets in the shape of the fort's historical marker to hand out. I'll put some of the brochures in the resupply box he's bringing to Old Bedford Village.

Early start tomorrow. Gotta hit the hay.

1 comment:

Neil said...

When will you be in Cumberland,and when are you getting to DC? I'd love to meet up with you along the way if I can.