Friday, August 8, 2008

Last Day of Work - Part One (morning)

I work a 2:30-9:30pm shift this evening. It's my last one for a month. Some of my co-workers have already wished me "bon voyage", and some I won't see again until Christmas break. The inevitability of this trip won't hit home until after my shift at work tonight.

I've got one pannier packed, and the camera bag. The new camera bag I bought last night to hold the camera and the new lens I also picked up last night. The lens? An AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G ED. Whatever the hell that means. What it means to me is that I can extend my reach (so to speak) and get closer to what I want to shoot without having to physically be there. In other words, I hope to get some action scenes at living history events without having to be in the ranks. The lens isn't the one I really wanted, but the one I could afford right now. Anyway, the camera bag is packed - no room at the inn.

On today's list... so far

Unload the car. (halfway there, at noon)
Get bike checked over. (on my way at one)
Wash work clothes. (in the dryer now, at noon)
Await Wayne's arrival (our UPS guy). I'm still waiting for my REI shipment, and Wayne's here by 11:30 like clockwork. (Ok, it was 11:50 am today) check.
Air out sleeping bag. I had hoped to wash it, but I'm not going anywhere near the laundromat soon.
Work on the list of stuff I need for Jeff to bring to the Bedford event.
Get "smilin" BoB out of the rafters in the shed and re-assembled.

I found my headlamp! When I went to Gander Mountain for Isopro yesterday, I saw one that I liked and Jeff almost bought it for me. I also saw a Lexan JavaPress. Coffee or light? Coffee or light? Yes, the light would keep me from careening over the guide rail in the Paw Paw tunnel, and would be helpful finding my way to the porta-john in the wee hours of the morning, but the lure of fresh-brewed coffee, that elixer of wonderfulness in the morning, proved too much. I opted for the JavaPress. Lucky me!

Speaking of luck... a customer checked out at my register Wednesday and he was wearing a T shirt with a picture of a chimney cleaner on it. I happened to ask if he was a sweep, and he said "yes". I asked him if he minded if we shook hands. Sure, he said, but he didn't think that he was particularly lucky. I asked him if he ever fell off of a roof, and the reply was, "twice". I asked him if he broke any bones. He said no - the worst he ever got was a couple of scratches. That's good enough for me.

It's 12:30 - Deuce (grandson) can't find his swimsuit, Libby called from band camp because she can't find her permission slip, Cocoa (one of the cats) dragged home a baby squirrel -- it's eyes aren't even opened and I had to wake Sarah up so she could call the local animal rescue. At least the REI order was delivered. I just may make it to work on time... barely. Oops, forgot about fixing lunch.

No comments: